Questions & Answers

What is KIM?
Keystone Independence Management (KIM) is an affiliate of Keystone Blind Association and Keystone Vocational Services. KIM provides management services for all KBA programs, services and operations. KIM also provides non-profit management services to other non-profit agencies including Beaver County Association (BCAB) for the Blind in Beaver Falls, Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CBVI), Center for the Blind and Disabled (CBD), and Montgomery County Association for the Blind (MCAB) near Philadelphia. KIM also manages the National (Pennsylvania) Foundation for Blind Children.

What geographic area does KBA service?
Either directly or through its affiliates, KBA provides services throughout Pennsylvania and in several nearby Ohio counties. Some services are geographically restricted due to contract requirements.

How is Keystone funded?
Keystone receives approximately $45,000 from two area United Ways (Mercer County and Western Crawford County), $114,000 from the Social Services Block Grant and over $10 million from the sale of workcenter products and services.

We are constantly working to increase our financial support from: grants from foundations, clubs and organizations; gifts in memory of others; an annual membership campaign, and various special events.

Does the Blind Association still sell brooms?
Yes, the Agency does continue to sell brooms, as well as a full line of industrial-grade tools and safety helmets.

Does the Agency serve only totally blind individuals?
No. The Agency serves blind, legally blind, and low vision persons for Program Services and any disabled person for Vocational Services.

What do legally blind and low vision mean?
Legally blind means a person has a visual acuity of 20/200 in the best eye with the best possible correction and/or a visual field of 20 degrees. That means they can see at 20 feet that which someone with normal vision can see at 200 feet and/or has a visual field of 20 degrees while a normal field is 180 degrees. Low vision means a person’s visual acuity is 20/50 or less and/or has a visual field of 40-20 degrees.

If I know of someone that may need your services what should they do?
Contact the Vice President of KBA’s Human Services Department. She will ask a few brief questions to determine what services are available for the individual which may enable them to continue to live an active and productive life.

Occasionally I see a person with a dog guide. Is it OK to pet the dog?
Although most dog guides are very attractive animals it is important to ignore them when they are working. Whenever a dog is in harness, he is working, and should not be distracted.